• Do IRS Enrolled Agents work for the IRS?
    An Enrolled Agent is a federally-authorized tax practitioner, empowered by the U.S. Dept. of the Treasury to represent taxpayers before the IRS. Enrolled Agents work for the taxpayer.
  • Do U.S. citizens have to file tax returns in New Zealand and in the U.S.?
    U.S. citizens are required to file U.S. income tax returns, based on their worldwide income, regardless of where they reside. New Zealand tax residents file returns in New Zealand, also based on worldwide income.
  • Who must file an FBAR?
    U.S. persons are required to file an FBAR if the aggregate of the highest balances of all financial accounts foreign to the U.S. exceeds US$10,000 for a respective calendar year.
  • How are 401(k) and IRAs taxed once I am living outside the U.S.?
    Withdrawals may be taxed in the U.S. and / or the country of residence. We recommend that tax advice is sought prior to making lump sum withdrawals.